THE NEW VILLAGE HALL PROJECT UPDATE
In recent months the Committee has made good progress with our project.
- We have agreed to buy a plot of land next to the Playing Field on which to build the new hall. However should we be refused Planning Permission the purchase does not have to proceed.
- Warwickshire Rural Community Council has provided valuable advice on applying for a substantial grant from the National Lottery/Reaching Communities.
- Architects are drawing up an initial plan to discuss with Stratford District Council with a view to refine the details before submitting a planning application. This will cost us money so we want to be sure there will be no objections from SDC.
- A public meeting will be arranged in the Spring to discuss and agree the proposed plans.
- The New Village Hall Fund is in excess of £34,000 after the first two years of fund raising.
Fund Raising Round Up
December ‘Double Bubble’ – Ennis Webster £240, Susan Parker £120, John Davenport £80
January – Myrtle Heald £120, Julie Forrest £60, Sally Clubley £40.
The December Travellers Tales with Steve the Dentist was a fascinating insight to life along the Amazon but proved how badly we need a new hall! It was uncomfortable and freezing! Erica declared that the 20 or so brave souls that braved the conditions deserved medals.
Spring will see their return with a Toy Library for Zimbabwe, a trip to Brazil with a group of sixth formers to meet ‘street children’, and India in a Rolls Royce!
The last Coffee Shop of 2010 was the day the snow came, Angela, Alf and Jenny did a brilliant job with lots of bacon sandwiches and hot drinks in the face of extreme cold and frozen pipework! The children sang Christmas songs and carols, Harry sold a large quantity of kindling and Jane’s beautifully decorated themed Muffins were snapped up for Christmas treats and gifts! By the end of the morning there was almost nothing left of the last few items of the Christmas Gift Stall. This was the fourth appearance including a trip to the Shipston Victorian Evening, these generously produced chutneys, shortbreads, gifts and decorations raised over £350.
In the face of yet more ice and snow Ann H raised a team of willing supporters who cheered as many households as they could manage with festive carol singing and kind donations raised £156 which was shared between the Village Hall and the Salvation Army.
Other Village Community Activities
Call to get involved, a friendly voice will help or put you in touch with the best contact, you will be welcome:
Seniors Meetings, Outings, Tea and Talk – Alan Wright 686480
Garden Group – Harry Upson 686323
Knitting/Craft Group – Pauline Horley 686860, Sue Levitch 686353, Chris Thompson 686861
Church Cleaning – Janet Owen 686547
Church Flower Border /Churchyard Maintenance Harry Upson 686323, Paul Marriott 686317
Bell Ringing – Paul Marriott 686317
Mother and Toddler – Kim Davies 684090
Youth Club – Angela Fox 686387
Village Hall Cleaning – Brenda Cowen 686314
Cherington Players – Anthony Granville 686242
Cherington Stourton, Sutton under Brailes Flower Show – Jim Walton 685082
Children’s Flower Power – ‘Teens and Tinies’ – the Church Flower Arrangers are inviting the younger generation to get involved with activities and Church decoration on special occasions and festivals, starting with the Royal Wedding – Tavia Lewis 686523, Jane Upson 686323.
Mobile Library visits the villages every three weeks or so on Friday mornings, the 2011 timetable is not currently available online but can be obtained by telephone 01926 851031
Fresh Fish every Tuesday 2.00pm at the Car Park of the Cherington Arms